Friday, January 19, 2007

An interview with Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycleworks

What do you look for in a new bike? One made of exotic, high tech materials also found in fighter jets and moon landers or a traditional lugged, steel ride where the "performance" is provided not by high tech but by you, the rider? In this episode, we take a trip out to Walnut Creek in the East Bay to chat with Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works to gain insight into his philosophy of the bicycle craft.

Listen to the podcast or
go to Bikescape in itunes

Grant also had a chat recently with Sheldon Brown when they ran into each other at Interbike, the industry trade show.

I mentioned The Bike Hut during the calendar segment (they're looking for a database volunteer) but I didn't say much about this great institution. Here's a link to chase.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Podcast! Nice to have you back! LA is listening :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a recent listener to the podcast and enjoy hearing about cycling on your side of the pond. Thought I'd drop you a note to say how much I'm enjoying the programme. It's so interesting to hear experiences related by cyclists in your city as I've never been to the States and cycling in Scotland has different weather and other challenges to those in SF

As a daily commuter, I cover 13 miles into Edinburgh so it's a bit of a different experience from cycling in SF ( I imagine). However, we have common problems, usually the attitude of some drivers and the local authority's failure to plan properly for integrated transport.

It's interesting that when my wife and I tour in Europe (France, Belgium, Holland and Germany), the attitude of motorists is very different - much more patient and respectful.


You might be interested to know that I ride 3 steel bikes. A 1964 Rattrays Flying Scot Continental (very appropriate for a Scot!), built of Reynolds 531, a 1983 531c hand built fast tourer/audax (my everyday bike which I've ridden almost every day for the last 23 years) and a 1995 Cinelli SuperCorsa (Columbus SLX). The Scot and Cinelli all Campag (Campy to you) the other is mainly Campag.

I cover a about 5000 miles a year commuting - nearer 6K if we tour.

Anyway - don't let the mayor get you down, you know the bike is destined to be the vehicle of choice again in the future. Keep spinning those pedals

John

Kim @ Socius: Daejeon Central said...

I found your mystery song from the middle of the podcast: "Bike" by MAL WEBB (2000)

You can find his site here: http://www.malwebb.com/

Design Ruang Tamu Kecil Minimalis said...

Hey nice site, simply looking round some sites, appears a very nice theme you are using. I’m presently using Drupal for a few of my sites but seeking to switch one of them over to a platform very much like yours as a test site.